Thursday, August 16, 2007


Live Music

I love live music. Every show I go to I savor. And I would go often if I could. One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to see at least one live show per quarter this year. Hmm, well I'm 0-2. I was going to go see moe. in 1Q and subdudes in 2Q... missed them. Hopefully I will score this quarter and I do have a plan but more on that later.

You see the problem is nobody my age wants to see live music anymore. They don't want to go all the way downtown to Deep Ellum or Lower Greenville. And they don't want to stay out late. Doing this is a huge commitment and they really just don't care a lot about seeing live music. To each their own.

Dallas has even answered this to some degree by building a big fancy House of Blues in the new shwanky part of Dallas life. There is a band there every night practically. Sad but true, I have not been their yet.

About the only way I've really been able to satisfy the need in recent years is to run away to festivals. The wife and I used to go to the New Orleans Jazz Fest . Great festival, all types of music, and food to die for. But Katrina put that on hold. I ran away to Bonnaroo for a few years but the one and only person who would go with me said he had had enough. So the nearest festival to escape to is the ACL . A friend and I went down for this a couple of years ago. But since then it keeps getting scheduled on his daughter's birthday. Its a conspiracy I tell you!

What are you going to do? If you can't get anyone to join you then your beat. And beat I am I suppose. So I've moved to the middle aged man's social activity which is golf. But that is a whole different story.

So here you go, the answer. If you haven't seen any live music lately, don't want to stay out late and don't want to spend any money I have just the thing. And if all goes well I'll be there at least once! The city of Lewisville hosts the summer musical series. They put on FREE shows in the EARLY evening. In the old days it was put on at the vista ridge amphitheater (and Memories catered, remember them?). Now its split into two series, summer and fall . Summer is still at Vista Ridge but fall is at the new town hall lawn. And the fall series will start up next month. Its FREE and music is from 6:30 to 8:30, you'll be home before bed time. Go see some live music!!! Heck they will have Brave Combo there, everybody loves them so take your family and just go. I will be there getting my live music craving satisfied for the year!



And along these lines RIP Elvis, 30 years gone today :-( The king of rock and roll forever and what a live show that would have been.



2 comments:

Brent said...

I've been to 4 live shows this year...one at the House of Blues and one in Deep Ellum. So, I dig live music and I espcially like the "dive" type clubs and loud, late nights.

Unfortunately, for us, though, when you rolled out that "Elvis was the king of rock and roll" well, I'm of the generation that would naturally assume you meant Costello...

...so I don't think you'd be much interested in catching Weezer or Social Distortion down at the Granada. If so, come along! Nathan and I make an effort to see a couple of shows a year, even if now we rush in to get front row balcony instead of front row mosh pit.

dorz11 said...

I've been to many shows at the Granada. All types of music from Bob Dylan to Ween!