Monday, September 17, 2007

Immigrants

The picture you see is an immagrant from Europe. This Mediterranean Gecko is an introduced species to the US. His most liked habitat is on walls with lights on them in urban areas.

When I moved in my house years ago I did not have Mediterranean Geckos. A couple of years ago I spotted one once in a while in the garage. This year they have expoloded and my house is crawling with them. The front porch light is on the brick wall next to the door. On any given night there are about 5 of these critters under neath it. There are also tiny little offspring all over and have taken to getting in the house. Its this part about getting into the house that is not good. The sudden population growth scares me too.

A little gecko here and there I can take. But these guys are multiplying like crazy and taking over the place! So I've had to resort to extermination with the fly swatter. After several weeks of taking the big ones out there is no noticable sign of the gecko population being reduced! Yikes!

Doesn't it seem bizare that a European lizard who thrives in the suburbs has found his way to Flower Mound, TX? And even worse is now taking over my house! I know they are little harmless lizards but I'm afraid I may have to turn to professionals.

1 comment:

Brent said...

We have tons of Geckos, too! They're on our screen, eating bugs, so we let the food chain work. I'd rather have the geckos than the bugs...