Saturday, September 29, 2007

When my daughter was in school she had to interview my parents about what they remembered in certain years. I found these on the computer today and figured I would share them. Short memories from her Grandparents, interesting how times have changed.

1950

Amanda's Grandmother:

In 1950 I was in the 4th grade. I grew up in Louisiana so the schools were segregated. As a child I thought this was the norm as I had never known anything else.

I was a tomboy as most of my friends were. The "neighborhood gang" spent many hours playing cowboys and Indians. We also formed a club and we all belonged. You had to be a neighborhood kid to belong and guests were not allowed. The club consisted of boys and girls and anything that went on at the club meetings was supposed to be secret - even from your parents. We had secret codes, handshakes, etc.

We were a family of four, but had a large extended family. We had large family gatherings often so we were very close to all of our relatives. Many good times and of course all family gatherings meant lots of good food and treats for the children.

-(Grandma)

Amanda's Grandfather:

In the early 1950’s, my grandfather was in his preteen years. He remembers seeing hundreds of headlines about the Korean War in newspapers, and he remembers the ending of the war in a stalemate at the 38th Parallel. When MacArhtur was fired, my grandpa believed that he deserved it because he defied the president. He lived in New Roads, Louisiana in a house that by 1954 had a brand new garage complete with a hot water heater that had its own thermostat and was self controlled. The kitchen stove was gas and had to be hand lit. New Roads had 2 schools, a public one and a private one, that went from first to twelfth grade. For fun, my grandfather would play games with friends. They didn’t have TV yet. His family believed that separate but equal did not work and that it was not equal.

1 comment:

Brent said...

I interviewed my grandparents and great-uncle for a high school project about living through The Depression and it made an impression on me that I haven't forgotten. I only wish I still had that paper.