Sunday, August 17, 2008

The King



I was thinking that night about Elvis
Day that he died, day that he died
I was thinking that night about Elvis
Day that he died, day that he died
Just a country boy that combed his hair
And put on a shirt his mother made and went on the air
And he shook it like a chorus girl
And he shook it like a Harlem queen
He shook it like a midnight rambler,
baby,
Like you never seen

- Gillian Welch, Elvis Presley Blues

Well she drew out all her money from the Southern Trust
And put her little boy on the Greyhound Bus
Leaving Memphis with a guitar in his hand
With a one way ticket to the Promised Land
Hey little girl with the red dress on
There's party tonight down in Memphis down
I'll be going down there if you need a ride
The man on the radio says Elvis Presley's died

- Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Bye Bye


Aug 16, 1977. RIP Elvis.

1 comment:

jlester01 said...

You have to update your blog. When I open it up and see the king looking at me with that sneer, it kind of scares me a little.i