Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hello Goodbye


I saw a Target add yesterday that used the Beatles song "Hello, Goodbye" as it's theme. This was instantly recognizable. When I was a kid everyone knew the Beatles and everyone knew their songs. My brother was the huge Beatle fan, he still wear's a Beatles belt buckle. I gave him a Beatles record (yes, the the vinyl kind) every year for Christmas during our teen years. He was John or Ringo and I would have to be Paul or George. We would have conversations in our best Liverpoolian accents! My brother is a drummer. His very first band played in our school's talent show and the song they played was Day Tripper. He cried real tears of sorrow when he found out John Lennon had been killed. For many years after the Beatles broke up they were still reveared as the pinnacle. So many wondered when they would get back together.

I bet anyone over the age of 40 could rattle off at least 10 Beatles songs at the snap of a finger and could probably sing along with more than that. Its hard to imagine any other band that could have so many songs that so many people know.

The Beatles have finally faded. Those were different times. But the path they made was remarkable, just remarkable. And there will always be those songs that one can instantly recognize and sing along with. Even if its in a commercial....

1 comment:

Brent said...

Although, I hardly think John and Paul had a sneaker ad in mind when they wrote "Revolution."