Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Work....

Work seems to go through a continual change. I'm sure its because I'm getting older but its all a changing work place in the U.S. these days. Ten years ago we did everything right here in Fort Worth, design to manufacture. Now a days we design in 5 locations across the world including the UK, 3 locations in the US and China. And we manufacture in China, Malaysia or Mexico, no manufacturing in the U.S, period.

On top of going global we are also shrinking. Attrition is eating us up and hiring is not allowed in the U.S. You see we are premium engineers here and only low cost engineers are hired. They live in Beijing, Hangzhou or Shanghai.

And in addition my industry is technology. So what used to be a concentrated effort and a couple of years to produce go anywhere communication devices has now turned into a fast turn of a brand new technology for high speed data anywhere!

All of that translates to being extremely busy at work. From the moment I walk in the door to the moment I walk out I'm literally using every single minute to accomplish many tasks that have to be done right now!

I don't know why I'm telling you this. It just seems amazing me at this time how surreal the whole situation is becoming. And looking ahead to the next 5 years is beyond anything I can even image. In the next few years when your enjoying your WiMAX, LTE and UMB, I'll be cranking out the next technological revolution with the last 2.3 premium engineers left in America.

2 comments:

jlester01 said...

surreal? ok. Is it any fun?

Brent said...

I thought all this technology was supposed to make us more efficient and give us time to slow down. Was there a memo I didn't get?